Thursday, March 20, 2014

Invisible Suffering

A month ago, I was struggling with balance and leg weakness. Most people didn't notice, except for when I attempted to wear high heels to church. Wobbles-ville. I felt like I was stumbling around with a leaden left leg.

Often, the symptoms of MS aren't noticeable. If you're wondering what some of these invisible symptoms might be, or what's really going on inside someone with MS, watch this.




In my church, one of my favorite hymns states, "in the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see." That verse is ever present in my mind when I now look at others who may appear to be well put together. We all have a sad story to tell. Most of us don't show it on our face or even in our body. But, I can assure you, it's there. The beauty of what I've learned is that there is so much to be happy for in life and when you stop to cheer someone else along the way, you also benefit.

Take a look at those around you. Treat them with kindness and consideration whether you believe they have it all together or not.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your courage in sharing your honest experience with MS. It is inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Just like everyone has pain, we all have inspiring and beautiful stories to tell.

      Delete
  2. I like your focus on the abundance that life offers. I think that even in bleak times there will be some amazing moments that we will be glad we lived to experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. You're right! There is so much to rejoice in through the tough times. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I'm all about cheering/loving/supporting others because it's true...you never know what battles they are fighting. You continue to be an inspiration, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! You're an awesome cheerleader. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, Pam. I like the "invisible" symptoms comments. I had such debilitating nerve pain, but I think it was difficult for some people to accept that because my outside looked just fine (minus the baggy eyes from not sleeping). And, whenever I'm behind a car going 1 MPH over train tracks, instead of zooming around them in my car and getting all mad, I assume they're about ready to scream from the pain caused by the bumps (my experience).

    It's a great reminder to give people a break and show compassion for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Suzy...I had no idea you ever suffered from nerve pain. That completely confirms what I felt here. I love you.

      Delete

Pin It